Sunday, August 24, 2008

A Great Day

I left the camera at work, so I don't have any pictoral documentation of the weekend, but it was a great one. Yesterday was the first Saturday of the summer that I did not have a requirment to do something or be someplace, and I made the most of it.

In the morning, Stuart, James, and I took a 2 hour canoe ride on the Autrain River near Munising. It is an ideal "lazy river" ride in a natural area with a gentle current, but enough curves and obstacles to keep you alert. We saw quite a bit of wildlife including an eagle, a beaver, (both fleeting views), a long look at a blue heron, and the usual assortment of turtles and song birds. The weather was perfect with a bright sun and occasional breeze.

In the afternoon, Susan and I took a 2 hour cruise on a tourist boat that was in Marquette for the weekend, the Keweenaw Star. It is usually in Copper Harbor, but came to Marquette for the Seafood Festival. We toured both harbors and learned a bit of local trivia, then went north a couple of miles along the Superior shore. Presque Isle viewed from the lake was more impressive than I had imagined it to be. On our return, we had some of the fare at the Seafood Fest. Baked whitefish and smoked fish were the main courses with corn on the cob and cole slaw. A blue grass band was on stage at that point and we enjoyed them.

Susan had some shopping and I took Buddy to Harlow Lake where I sat on a warm granite outcropping while he romped around and swam. Watching him tired me.

I had a full day at church teaching both Sunday School and Priesthood class today. Susan and I both went with Buddy to Little Presque Isle in the late afternoon. It was still bright and sunny, but the wind was coming in from the north at a strong clip. It created picturesque waves, but caused us to hunker down. Buddy, of course, wanted to pay fetch and I accommodated him. Again, he wore me out watching him bound into the waves.

I talked to Dick yesterday. He reported that Wyatt was diagnosed with pneumonia, but it was caught early and should not be a problem.

Janet's son Isaac's wedding reception was today. John drove out for the wedding. I talked to Gabe today. He said that John got there and is behaving himself. Gabe promised to post to Janet's blogsite.

Angela and family visited her friend Liz nee Joray and her twins and husband in Indianapolis and stayed at Harry's on the way back. I sure she'll get us posted.

No comments: